Three days of memorial ceremonies for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg began Wednesday at the Supreme Court, where her flag-draped coffin was carried past clerks who worked for her during her 27 years on the bench and was brought into the building's Great Hall.
A private ceremony for Ginsburg's colleagues, close friends and family took place inside.
Members of the public will be allowed to pay their respects to the justice as she lies in repose on Wednesday and Thursday. President Donald Trump is expected to visit Thursday.
Read more: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at age 87
On Friday, one week after her death, Ginsburg will lie in state in the U.S. Capitol, the first woman and second Supreme Court justice to do so.
Ginsburg, the senior member of the court's liberal wing, died of complications from pancreatic cancer. She will be buried next week in Arlington National Cemetery, alongside her husband, Marty Ginsburg, who died a decade ago.
Even as the nation mourns, a fierce battle is underway over her replacement. Trump has said he will name a nominee on Saturday.
Visitors gather early in the morning
Ginsburg makes her final trip to the Supreme Court
Ginsburg will lie in repose at the Supreme Court for two days
Former law clerks await her casket as honorary pallbearers
Hundreds of mourners are expected at the court, including President Donald Trump on Thursday
Ginsburg's fiery dissents earned her a devoted following and a nickname: 'Notorious R.B.G.'
A private ceremony for the justice's close friends, colleagues and family took place Wednesday morning
Ginsburg's casket was placed on the Lincoln Catafalque, constructed to hold President Abraham Lincoln's body in 1865
Chief Justice John Roberts speaks about his former colleague
The court displayed a 2016 portrait of Ginsburg by artist Constance P. Beaty
Justice Brett Kavanaugh, the newest member of the court, shared only one full term with Ginsburg
Former President Bill Clinton, who nominated Ginsburg in 1993, pays his respects alongside former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
A woman wipes away her tears
Ginsburg was seen as a trailblazer for women
By the time of her death, Ginsburg had become a cultural icon
- Leaked White House emails reveal behind the scenes battle over chloroquine in coronavirus response
- جراح عمومی توقف کوتاه هشدار به مردم برای جلوگیری از جمعیت در چهارم جولای
- Ashok Gehlot می دهد لیست 102 MLAs به فرماندار تظاهرات برای 4 ساعت
- در میان مستند حاکم و احزاب مخالف راه اندازی نظرسنجی کمپین بیهار
- From curfews to calling in the army, here's what Europe is doing to tackle its coronavirus surge
- Farm Bills In Rajya Sabha: BJP Has Slim Lead Over Opposition In Numbers Game
- تسلا سهام افزایش می یابد و پس از گزارش, ضرب و شتم بزرگ در سه ماهه دوم سال تحویل
- ادوارد نورتون عکسی از "Fight Club" به یاد نان گوشتی "Sweet Soul" به اشتراک می گذارد.
- درخواست شاهزاده اندرو برای محاکمه هیئت منصفه ممکن است به او در "کنترل" شواهد کمک کند
- جلعاد می گوید: نتایج اولیه از coronavirus مواد مخدر دادگاه نشان می دهد بهبود با کوتاه تر remdesivir درمان