US President Donald Trump greeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his 70th birthday, praising him as a "great leader and loyal friend".
Prime Minister Modi, born on September 17 in 1950, turned 70 on Thursday.
"I would like to extend best wishes and a very happy 70th birthday to the Prime Minister of India, @narendramodi. Many happy returns to a GREAT LEADER and loyal friend!" Trump tweeted Thursday afternoon local time.
He also posted a photograph of him and First Lady Melania Trump with Prime Minister Modi at the "Namaste Trump" event. The two leaders had their hands raised and clenched before a 125,000-strong crowd who had gathered to welcome the US president on his first India visit at Motera Stadium in Ahmedabad in February this year.
At the event, Prime Minister Modi had said that a "new history" was being created.
I would like to extend best wishes and a very happy 70th birthday to the Prime Minister of India, @narendramodi. Many happy returns to a GREAT LEADER and loyal friend! pic.twitter.com/CWlVkHk16X— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 17, 2020
Trump was among a host of world leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who wished Modi on his birthday and lauded him for strengthening ties with their countries.
Putin and Merkel wrote letters to Modi, and Johnson and several others tweeted.
Modi responded individually to many of those who wished him on Twitter.
"People from all over India, from all over the world have shared their kind wishes. I am grateful to each and every person who has greeted me. These greetings give me strength to serve and work towards improving the lives of my fellow citizens," he said in one of his tweets late night.
The prime minister also urged people to take precautions to defeat the coronavirus.
"Since many have asked, what is it that I want for my birthday, here is what I seek right now: Keep wearing a mask and wear it properly. Follow social distancing. Remember 'Do Gaj Ki Doori'. Avoid crowded spaces. Improve your immunity. Let us make our planet healthy," he said.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- قطره روغن 15% گسترش روز دوشنبه 25 درصد کاهش
- چکمه بث را جان داده است
- Devendra Fadnavis "بی تاب" اما امن دولت: Sharad Pawar به NDTV
- این $0 راه برای همیشه واقعی گل ها در خانه
- Pompeo آتش سوزی وزارت امور خارجه watchdog انتقادی از مغلوب ساختن پیشی جستن حرکت
- آگاهانه و هند و چین که ما آماده به واسطه مرز اختلاف: مغلوب ساختن پیشی جستن
- آتی سهام لغزش پس از نزدک کامپوزیت شکاف رکورد جدید
- Coronavirus زندگی می کنند به روز رسانی: Global موارد بالا 3.2 میلیون عمده ما خطوط هوایی نیاز به پوشش صورت در پرواز
- سهام مجموعه را به پرش جمعه پس از tech غول پست قوی درآمد نزدک آتی به دست آوردن نزدیک به 1%
- سهام کاهش تلفات نزدک می شود مثبت به Facebook و Netflix افزایش